All you need to know about the effects and benefits of CBD
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a phytocannabinoid extracted from Cannabis species with non-intoxicating anti-inflammatory, chemopreventive and antineoplastic effects. It is one of over 116 active cannabinoids naturally found in the cannabis plant.
Unlike THC (the cannabinoid responsible for creating a “high” effect) CBD is non-euphoric and does not produce intoxication. CBD has the potential to help manage an array of health and medical conditions such as pain, anxiety, inflammation, and several mental and physical problems.
Effects of CBD
CBD provides therapeutic effects by interacting directly or indirectly with our brain’s receptor systems. It acts upon the signaling systems, CB1 receptors of our brain, and CB2 receptors, found mainly in the immune system of our body to produce effects and reduce pain.
The most commonly reported CBD effects are:
- Pain relief,
- Reduced anxiety,
- A sense of relaxation,
- Improvement in mood,
- Staying asleep (in low doses)
- Improved sleep (in high doses)
Potential benefits you can achieve with CBD
- Cannabidiol is commonly used to address stress, anxiety, and sleep disorders. CBD has shown the efficacy of reducing anxiety in people with a social anxiety disorder (SAD) and post-traumatic stress disorders (PTSD). It produces anxiety-reducing effects by acting upon serotonin A1 receptors.
- Marijuana contains a higher amount of THC, and produce psychotic effects. Research suggests that CBD also has an anti-psychotic activity that helps mitigate the “high” effects produced by the use of Marijuana.
- CBD contains neuroprotective properties and can help manage Alzheimer’s disease, MS (multiple sclerosis), and glutamate toxicity. Sativex, a specific cannabis extract that contains both CBD and THC, has been approved in many European counties for the treatment of MS.
- Several studies have reported that CBD can reduce the number of seizures in epilepsy patients and may be effective in treating drug-resistant epilepsy in children. However, the available information is still insufficient and more studies are on their ways to determine how CBD can work effectively to reduce seizures.
- For people who are suffering from sleep disorders or insomnia, CBD can help improve the quality of their sleep. Studies suggest that varying the doses of CBD can help you achieve your desired sleep whether you want to stay awake or fall asleep.
- Besides, CBD also has pain-relieving properties and may inhibit neuropathic and inflammatory, two severe chronic pain types that are most difficult to treat.
Though more accurate clinical studies are needed to determine the potential benefits of CBD for certain conditions, pre-clinical research indicates that CBD has a wide range of effects and therapeutic properties to reduce pain, anxiety, inflammation, seizures, psychoactive, and neurological problems.